The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places.
But those that will not break it kills.
It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially.
If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too
but there will be no special hurry.
~
A FAREWELL TO ARMS

7/31/11

Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. -Mark 13:31

My grandma passed away 26 years ago August 19th. She left behind a Bible that remains as it was when she used it, from the bookmark that proclaims "Alleluia!" to the scratch paper with Bible verses written in green marker. Nothing is out of place.

Inside, numerous verses are circled or underlined. They tell a lot about who my grandma was and what she was going through. She was one of the gentlest spirits I've ever known, who was lost after a long battle with cancer.

So this blog is dedicated to some of the passages she found important.

1. It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness... Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the Lord. -Lamentations 3:22-23;40

My grandma was a faithful woman who suffered a lot but found comfort in God.

2. Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost. -Romans 15:13

Grandma had hope she could get better, and lived a thankful life regardless of her prognosis.

3. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. -2 Timothy 1:7

Though she was facing an uncertain future, my grandma did not allow herself to bee overcome by fear.

4. But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. -Job 23:10

She was a brave fighter who, when facing the fight of her life, came forth as gold. She never waivered in her beliefs.

5. And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. -Ephesians 4:32

This describes my grandma so well. It's who she was. Kind. Tenderhearted. Forgiving. She truly lived by the word.

6. Not that I speak to respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. -Philippians 4:11

She knew she was dying but my grandma found a way to be content: have faith.

Nancy Lou Poisel, I will always love and remember you.

The last verse circled, Revelation 21:4

"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

No comments:

Post a Comment